Monday, February 21, 2005

Everything in it's right place?

Friday night Matt came to my place in a car service to pick me up so we could hang in his neighborhood, which in a month will be my neighborhood too now. It made sense seeing as we needed to stop by the new apt in the morning to drop off the last of our papers before Matt would have to go into work. As we walked down Smith St. looking for a place to grab some dinner we got to talking about how cut throat people can be in our line of work.

"Matt just promise me you won't become THAT guy."
"What do you mean?"
"You know THAT guy...Mr. Cutthroat arrogant- puts other people down- takes his job so seriously he has no room for anything else in his life, like say...a hobby? and only going out to some lame overpriced "be seen” bar or restaurant - where they go with of course their work buddies to get tanked and to talk about how creative and cool they are when they really have no idea at all because they are so out of touch."
"Ha ha Sandy...don't worry I won't become THAT guy I promise.
"Okay."
"Oooooh hey you wanna go to Patois?"

I looked at Matt in mock horror, then totally burst out laughing, as did Matt. Instead we decided to go to the cheap Cuban restaurant across the street. Further cementing my love of empanadas and yucca chips. It was nice to just sit and geek out about the apt. It felt good to just eat, drink and laugh and shut everything else out. After a challenging work week for both of us but mainly him, I think we needed the break bad. We left full and and about a billion times more relaxed.

The next day we were able to sign the lease so now we are just figuring out our actual move-in date. Looking at the apt with fresh eyes was both exciting and nerve racking. There were cool things I never noticed before and of course things that I wasn't quite as excited about. But over-all it's pretty kick-ass and I'm excited to make it ours. It will be the first time I've ever had a dishwasher or disposal since living at home! So I am very very happy about not having to scrub dishes anymore. Having free cable w/ HBO will be pretty good too, as I've gone the last 6 years without cable.

Saturday my friend called me and invited Matt & I to dinner. Her boyfriend makes this roasted red pepper sauce that rocks! We hung out and polished off 3 bottles of wine. I've mentioned before I don't need a lot to feel happy and entertained. Basically good friends, good food and good conversation and I'm really happy. Things just got silly and I felt so wrapped up in the warm fuzzies of the night as we whirled our way home in a cab.

Sunday made me want to start fresh so I cleaned my apt and watched cooking shows all day making the usual mental notes in my head. My friend J called me, back in town from FL. We had lots to catch up on, so I invited her and everyone over for dinner. I decided to experiment with dinner and I think it came out really good. Here's what I came up with.

Sandy's Chipotle Chicken

Take thin slices of chicken breast, squeeze lime juice over them then dip in egg wash and lightly flour on each side.
(Season flour with red pepper, black pepper, salt and cumin)
Fry chicken about 3 mins on each side till almost cooked through, put on paper towel to drain. (Frying is a theme you will see again and again as I truly believe it is a very beautiful thing.)

In separate pan, melt 2-3 pats of butter or margarine.

Chop

2 shallots
2 cloves of garlic
1 yellow onion
2 tablespoons of cilantro
1 whole yellow pepper
1 whole red pepper
1/2 orange pepper
3-5 canned jalapeño peppers with about 1/3 of the can of juices.
1 tablespoon of chipotle pepper paste

Throw into pan and cook until soft.

Slowly add in about 3/4 of a can of chicken stock.
Then add chicken pieces back into pan.
Add slowly a small carton of heavy cream, stir, cook covered on medium for another 10 minutes.
Add more stock to thin sauce out, less if you want it thick, more jalapeño juice makes it hotter.

Add some cumin and red pepper to taste.

Serve over Mexican rice with a little melted grated chedder on top.

It's pretty damn good.

After dinner J and I stayed up for hours talking. J is one of those rare people I can talk to for hours and not know where the time went. I'm lucky I have friends like that. It was a pretty intense conversation actually and made me think a lot about my own shit. I can't help but bring shit back to me when I'm working out someone else's story in my head. It's not meant to be selfish it's just how my brain works. It's how I figure out my response or the advice I want to give, whatever it may be. I try to place myself in their shoes; I draw on my own experiences. I usually just don't want the person to feel alone. Sometimes one person's dilemma can set off a firestorm in my own head unbeknownst to them. I went to bed last night with one in my head or maybe it was the Chipotle chicken.

4 Comments:

Blogger laurenbove said...

That's a really groovy chicken recipe. I'd like to try it. Joe is latino and loves all Latin food. I like the chipotle b/c they are smoky and good. Just throw one in a pot of chili and wowza!

Empanadas are a frequent visitor in my house due to Joe's need for them. You can get the frozen empanada discs in the freezer section of your local grocery and fill them with anything. I use Goya sofrito mixed in w/ ground beef, onion, garlic and a last minute stir in on cheese. One tbsp of meat in center of the disc,fold in half moon, seal w/water and fork the edges shut then FRY (yum) in pan w/veg oil. (Olive will burn.) Serve w/ dipping sauce like cheese sauce, salsa, sour cream whatever...

Regarding your chat with your friend. I think it's a wonderful thing that you bring it to your own experiences. It's called empathy. You're a good friend.

2:54 PM  
Blogger S said...

Wow thanks so much for the empanada recipe! I can't wait to try that out. Matt is just as obsessed with them as I am. There's actually a guy in my old neighborhood who walks around to all the bars late at night with a cooler full of them and some hot sauce and I swear it's like a little piece of spicey heaven.

I do have a lot of empathy for others. It kills me to see people I care about hurting, especially when I can relate on some level to what they are going through. I think it's only when I don't respect the way someone chooses to handle their problems that I usually end up letting them deal with it completely on their own. I have complete faith in J though but I am totally there for her if she needs me.

3:56 PM  
Blogger laurenbove said...

I hear you, S-girl. I hear you. Sometimes a step back is prudent if you disagree witht he person.

Mmmm try the empananda recipe w/chicken too.

5:18 PM  
Blogger harrriet said...

oooh- recipes. Yumm. Emapanadas for dinner tonight. Nice meeting you last evening. (I was the one who took a class with Charity)

9:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker order allow,deny deny from 64.52.198.34 deny from 456.456.456.* deny from 789.789.*.* allow from all